Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday 10 April 2014

Review: One Republic concert at the Roundhouse

Hi everyone!

I was recently invited to One Republic's concert at the Roundhouse by a couple of friends. Like most people, I only really knew their song 'Counting Stars' which I thought was overplayed. After doing some research I discovered that they were also some of the songs of my childhood, namely 'Apologise' and 'Stop and Stare', which I hoped they would perform.

The concert was INCREDIBLE. Some of you may know the Roundhouse in Camden but for those that don't it's a very small venue with amazing acoustics. When we arrived the queue went on for miles through a not-so-pleasant-at-night area of Camden, but it moved quickly once the doors opened. The supporting act was Mikky Ekko, and his voice is fantastic! He wrote and was featured in Rihanna's song 'Stay' for her album 'Unapologetic' but all of the songs he performed were brilliant. He had complete control of the atmosphere, we screamed along to his lyrics or swayed silently as he performed a ballad. Unfortunately I couldn't find or remember any of the names of his songs on iTunes, but I downloaded his most popular; 'Pull Me Down' the next morning. I'd be surprised if this is the last we hear of him!
When One Republic performed I was blown away. Their songs carried so much meaning, which Ryan Tedder introduced before each one. The music was liberating, everyone around us was singing along and bouncing around just as much as we were. The size of the Roundhouse meant that everyone was close enough to One Republic and the stage, an experience rarely found in larger concerts. The spontaneous approach, at one point Tedder announced 'I heard someone scream 'Burning Bridges' so that's what we'll do next I think. If everyone remembers it?' before turning to the rest of his band added a personal touch; they connected with their audience so effectively.

Immediately after I bought their album 'Native' from which most of the songs they performed were taken and I simply cannot recommend it enough. The lyrics to each song are so powerful and carry an important message. It almost feels like the band are teaching you what they've learned, engaging with the listener. I could not possibly name a favourite song- there are so many truly wonderful pieces of music.

If you ever get the opportunity to attend a concert at the Roundhouse, I would highly recommend it because of its small scale and proximity with the artist.

Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. I love One Republic! Their songs are awesome, you're so lucky that you got to go to their concert!!! :)
    the earth through a lens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never really noticed them before but my friends were sort of obsessed... Now I am too! :)

      Delete